Thursday 25 August 2011

Measuring my success

I learnt several project planning techniques at the iLive2LeadIndia Summit. In the International Summit, I was exposed to more advanced planning ideas which I am going to keep in mind while carrying out the rest of my Environmental Consciousness initiative.

Measuring my success is one such skill that I thought would be very useful for me while I conclude my project.

At the end of my project, it's important for me to be able to show concrete results to prove that my efforts have created a difference (or not- so that I can improvise!). Thus, I need to quantitatively measure my progress at regular intervals.

Here's how I plan to do this:
a) My survey (refer my blog post dated 16th June 2011, Thursday)- I have conducted a survey among a random sample of thirty students to measure their initial awareness levels. Once I finish carrying out all my green activities, I will hand out the same survey to the same set of students to check if there is an increase in awareness levels, and if so, by how much. These percentages will give me a rough but clear idea about the effect that my project has had on the target population in consideration.

b) My blog- I'm keeping track of how regularly I've been updating my blog. With 13 posts so far (including this one!), I've covered all aspects of my project that I think will help in spreading consciousness or that I want others to know about. I also check how many hits I've received every time I login. The numbers seem good with 102 hits since I began this blog!

c) Feedback- Some of my initiatives are well-received by my peers while others are not. Direct feedback in the form of comments or reports (for example, refer my blog post dated 31st July 2011, a student's view about the talk on eco-friendly lifestyles held in the school) are preferable because I know exactly what was well-done and what needed improvement. Indirect feedback is easier to obtain, like observing the number of students willing to volunteer for an eco-friendly event or the teachers' willingness to conduct a green class activity. However, I find it more difficult to document this kind of feedback!

Using these three forms of measurement, I hope I will be able to measure the impact of my project on my community!

Go green!

No comments:

Post a Comment