Saturday 27 August 2011

Impact Assessment

Impact assessment was another concept that I learnt at the iL2L Summit this June, and I plan to use it in every step of my project. (It's always been at the back of my mind while I was working on my project, but now I have a proper name for it!)

Here's the Wikipedia definition:

Impact assessment (IA) is "a process aimed at structuring and supporting the development of policies. It identifies and assesses the problem at stake and the objectives pursued. It identifies the main options for achieving the objective and analyses their likely impacts in the economic, environmental and social fields. It outlines advantages and disadvantages of each option and examines possible synergies and trade-offs".

It talks about the methods employed to reach the main goal such that there is maximum impact in economic, environmental and social fields. In my project, I plan to spread environmental consciousness not only among the student community in my school (the target population), but also to students in other schools and the public in general. This is the larger aim of my project.

As suggested by my Project Manager, I plan to do this by requesting a local newspaper to highlight the green initiatives launched in the school. Hopefully, this would inspire students in other city schools to replicate such programmes!

Go green!

No comments:

Post a Comment